This Instant Pot taco meat is so quick and easy to make, from fresh or frozen ground beef (or turkey) – and it tastes fantastic!
Anyone else’s family go crazy for taco night? Mine definitely does!
Tacos are almost as popular as spaghetti around here, which is saying something since my family could happily eat spaghetti every night.
This Instant Pot taco meat is one of our favourite meals.
It’s quick and easy to make, you can make it with fresh or frozen ground beef, and I always have all the ingredients on hand.
Plus there’s no prep work. Toss your block of frozen ground beef in the Instant Pot, cook it for 20 minutes, then saute with some spices and tomato sauce for a couple of minutes.
That’s all there is to it.
And it tastes SO good. We love it. Perfect for tacos, nachos, burritos, quesadillas, taco salad, and probably a few other things too!
Can you put frozen ground beef in the Instant Pot?
Yes, you can put frozen ground beef in the Instant Pot! Instant Pot frozen ground beef is the best on those nights you forget to defrost your meat ahead of time.
And it’s actually the only way I make taco meat in the Instant Pot. If my ground beef (or turkey) is already thawed, I really don’t see the point in cooking it in the Instant Pot.
When it’s thawed, it’s just as fast and easy to make taco meat on the stove as in the Instant Pot.
But when my ground beef is frozen, the Instant Pot is the way to go for making taco meat! Fast, easy, perfect taco meat in less than 30 minutes from frozen ground beef.
What kind of meat is used for tacos?
We like to use ground beef for tacos most of the time. But I have also made this taco meat with ground turkey and it’s delicious too, so use your preference.
My favourite way to make taco meat is actually to make a double recipe and use one pound each of ground beef and ground turkey.
But I will say that most of my family prefers tacos with just ground beef!
Can you freeze taco meat?
Yes, you can definitely freeze taco meat!
I do this all the time. Making a double recipe of this taco meat takes no more time to do and then I can freeze half of it.
Of course, that all depends on how hungry everyone is. Sometimes a double batch almost all disappears in one meal here because everyone loves tacos!
I have also made this taco meat ahead of time and then frozen it for a quick meal in the future and it freezes beautifully. Let it cool completely and then freeze it flat in freezer bags as it defrosts quicker when it’s frozen flat.
How to make Instant Pot Taco Meat:
- I always start with frozen ground beef (or turkey) for this taco meat. If your beef is fresh, I’d recommend making these 20 Minute Ground Beef Tacos instead – they’re made on the stovetop – but you can still make taco meat in the Instant Pot with fresh beef if you prefer. The cook time will decrease.
- The time required to pressure cook ground beef from frozen depends a little on how thick your blocks of ground beef are – mine are typically 1-1.5 inches thick.
- 20 minutes of pressure cooking time does not quite cook the frozen ground beef all the way through. This is okay as it makes it easier to break up, and sauteing for a minute or two will finish cooking it.
- You can double this recipe easily if you like, just lay the one pound blocks of ground beef side by side (or overlapping a bit) on the trivet. The cook time remains the same.
- Use this taco meat for tacos, nachos, burritos, quesadillas, or taco salad.
Here are some other great Mexican recipes for you:
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- Chicken Taco Salad
- Taco Pizza Rolls
- 3 Ingredient Chicken Tacos (Instant Pot or Slow Cooker)
- 17 Easy Mexican Recipes