These slow cooker honey garlic chicken thighs are so tasty and so easy to make! They take just minutes to get into the slow cooker for the perfect weeknight dinner!
These slow cooker honey garlic chicken thighs are SO easy to make! They make the perfect, quick and easy, weeknight meal that everyone will love.
This meal is as simple as whisking together a homemade honey garlic sauce and pouring it over some chicken thighs in the slow cooker.
Walk away and let it cook for 4-6 hours, then thicken the sauce with a corn starch slurry. Served over some hot, cooked rice, with some steamed vegetables on the side, it makes the perfect easy meal.
And you probably already have everything you need to make it!
How long should you cook chicken in a slow cooker?
Boneless, skinless, chicken thighs will take about 2-3 hours on high, and 4-6 hours on low in a slow cooker to cook through. The range in time is because of variation between slow cookers, as well as the difference in size that the chicken thighs can be.
If your slow cooker tends to cook hot, check the chicken at the lower end of the time range, if it tends to be a little cooler, check it a little later.
Chicken thighs are cooked through when their internal temperature is 165F.
How do you thicken honey garlic sauce?
In this recipe, the honey garlic sauce is thickened with a corn starch slurry.
Once the slow cooking time is complete, you can stir in a corn starch slurry. Turn the slow cooker to “high” and continue cooking for another 30-45 minutes to thicken the sauce.
Some slow cookers will not get hot enough for this to work well. The sauce needs to come to a boil to thicken, which can take some time in the slow cooker.
An alternative to thickening the sauce in the slow cooker, is to pour the sauce into a saucepan, and add the corn starch slurry. Cook, stirring, over medium high heat for 3-5 minutes, or until the sauce comes to a boil and thickens. Serve it over the chicken thighs and some cooked rice.
How to make Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs:
- Use fresh or thawed chicken thighs for this recipe. Cooking frozen chicken in a slow cooker is not a great idea for food safety reasons. If you’d like to make this with frozen chicken, see my recipe for Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs.
- We love this honey garlic chicken served with rice and steamed broccoli. It’s also great with quinoa if you prefer.
- You can cook this chicken either for 4-6 hours on low, or for 2-3 hours on high in your slow cooker. Chicken thighs are done cooking when their internal temperature is 165F.
- If you want to prep ahead with this recipe, you can make the sauce and combine it with the chicken up to 3 days in advance and refrigerate it until you’re ready to cook.
Here are some more great slow cooker recipes for you:
- Slow Cooker Hoisin Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- 3 Ingredient Chicken Tacos (Instant Pot or Slow Cooker)
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken