These rainbow cream cheese cookies are soft and chewy and so fun to make! The kids absolutely love them and they are so easy to make!
Fun, colourful cookies for you today! My kids go crazy for these rainbow cream cheese cookies.
Of course, they go crazy for pretty much any cookie, because, well, cookies.
But these swirly, rainbow cookies are definitely a favourite. They’re the cookies that get requested for birthdays. So you know they’re good.
When you tell your child that you will make them anything for their birthday and they settle on rainbow cream cheese cookies.
I think it’s the colours. They’re just fun. And they are so adaptable too.
Make them with your kids favourite colour to celebrate a birthday. Or red, white, and green for Christmas. Pastel colours for Easter. Or shades of red, pink, and white for Valentine’s day.
The options are endless, really.
The kids love helping to make these cookies too. It’s kind of like playing with play-doh actually, so I get why they enjoy it!
Fun to make, and fun to eat. These soft, rainbow swirl cookies are always a hit!
How to make Rainbow Cream Cheese Cookies:
- I like to use my food processor for making this cookie dough. I find that it’s the best for mixing the food colouring into the dough. A stand mixer or electric mixer would work too though.
- If your cookie dough isn’t too soft after mixing in the colour, you can shape the cookies immediately and chill them on the cookie sheet. If it’s too soft to work with chill the dough first though. I’ve made them both ways, just chill them for 30-60 minutes instead of just 15 minutes before baking if you skip the initial chilling step. You want them to be cold when you bake them so they don’t spread too much.
- I usually make these cookies with four colours. You can easily make them more or less colours if you like though! I like to use this gel food colouring as you need much less to get intense colours then you do with the liquid food colouring.
Here are some more great cookie recipes for you:
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies
- Lemon Cookies
- Chocolate Swig Sugar Cookies
- Salted Double Chocolate Cookies
- Carrot Cake Cookies
- 3/4 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 3 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Gel Paste Food Colouring, assorted colours
- In a large bowl, or in a food processor or stand mixer, cream together the butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and cream until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until well combined.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces (or however many colours you would like your cookies to be) and tint each a different colour. I find the fastest way to mix in the colour is with a food processor - add a few drops of gel food colouring and mix until it is well combined, adding more if you want the colour to be brighter.
- Wrap each piece of coloured cookie dough tightly in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Divide each piece of cookie dough into two equal pieces.
- Take one piece and roll it into an 8-10 inch log. Repeat with one piece of each of the other colours.
- Press all four coloured logs together and roll to make one log of cookie dough that is multi-coloured. Slice this log into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll each multi-coloured piece out into a snake, about 10 inches (35cm) long and twist it a bit to make the colours swirl around. Roll this up into a circle and place it on a cookie sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining dough pieces, placing cookies about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
- Repeat steps #8-11 with the other half of the cookie dough pieces to make 12 more cookies.
- Chill the cookies on the baking sheet for 15 minutes.
- Bake the cookies for 9-10 minutes. Allow them to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing them to a rack to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container for 5-7 days at room temperature.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I may receive a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 151Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g
Nutrition Information is estimated based on ingredients used and may not be exact.
I’ve also shared these Rainbow Cream Cheese Cookies over on Food Fanatic.