This pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting is so easy to make and tastes fantastic! It makes the perfect fall dessert!
This pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting makes the perfect fall dessert! It’s so easy to make and absolutely delicious.
You can mix up this cake with just a bowl and a spoon, there is no special equipment required here. Even the frosting can be made with just a whisk if you like, although I like to use an electric hand mixer.
Everyone in my house absolutely loved this pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting. It was so tasty, and so easy to make. It makes the perfect dessert for these beautiful fall days!
Can I substitute pumpkin pie mix for pumpkin puree?
No, pumpkin pie mix and pumpkin puree are not the same thing. Pumpkin pie filling is already sweetened and flavoured, so if you substitute it in this pumpkin cake recipe, you will will not be happy with the results.
Pumpkin puree is pure pumpkin with nothing added to it. This is what you want to use for this recipe, as you will be adding sugar and spices to the batter.
Does cream cheese frosting need to be refrigerated?
Yes, you should always refrigerate any baking that has cream cheese frosting on it. This cake should be kept in the fridge, tightly covered, since it has cream cheese frosting.
If you prefer the cake to be at room temperature when you serve it, you can take it out of the fridge and let it sit for a couple of hours before serving it.
How to make Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting:
- If you don’t have any pumpkin pie spice, you can replace it with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ginger, 1/8 teaspoon cloves, and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg.
- I baked my cake in a glass baking dish – if you’re using a metal pan your baking time may be a bit different so keep an eye on it and make sure to test before removing it from the oven.
- Store this cake, tightly covered, in the refrigerator. You can take it out to warm up a couple of hours before serving it if you prefer.
Here are some more great pumpkin recipes for you:
- Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Pie Dip
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies
- Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Crumb Topping
- Pumpkin Scones
I’ve also shared this Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting recipe over on Food Fanatic.
Wednesday 15th of February 2023
This cake is delicious! I had some frozen pumpkin puree (kept from the fall) and was looking for a recipe to use it. My son (9) loved it even with icing (which he usually removes when he eats cake). Merci :-)
Thursday 16th of February 2023
So glad you liked it! I'm with your son - I typically don't like icing that much either! :)