These easy cinnamon rolls are soft and fluffy with a cinnamon brown sugar filling, and cream cheese frosting. They are perfect for brunch!
These easy cinnamon rolls are absolutely delicious! The soft and fluffy sweet roll dough is filled with cinnamon and brown sugar, and then topped with a sweet cream cheese frosting for the perfect breakfast treat.
They take a little time, as the dough needs to rise before shaping it into rolls, and then rise again before baking. But most of the preparation time is hands off. Plus, after shaping the rolls, you can cover them and put them in the fridge to bake later.
Which is perfect when you want them for brunch. There’s no need to start the process of making them exactly 4.5 hours before you want to serve them. Instead you can get them ready the day before, pop them in the fridge overnight (or for up to 48 hours) and then pull them out to rise and bake the next day.
I do this every time I make these easy cinnamon rolls, because we rarely want them in the evening. It makes for a very easy morning with a really tasty brunch!
How wet should cinnamon roll dough be?
The dough for these easy cinnamon rolls should be tacky to the touch, but not so sticky that it gets all over your hands when you touch it. If the dough is really sticky, and isn’t clearing the sides and bottom of the bowl when kneading in your stand mixer, then you should add a little more flour, a couple tablespoons at a time, until it comes together.
The dough shouldn’t be too dry either. If there are dry bits of flour visible in the dough, then add a little more water, a tablespoon at a time, until it comes together and is no longer dry.
Is it okay to leave cinnamon rolls out overnight?
These cinnamon rolls have cream cheese frosting on them, so you should store any leftovers in the refrigerator. Once they have cooled completely, cover the pan tightly, and refrigerate them for up to 3 days.
They can be reheated in the microwave on low heat. Keep in mind that the frosting will melt a bit into the roll when reheating.
Can I refrigerate homemade cinnamon rolls before baking?
As mentioned earlier, you can definitely do this. I almost always do! There are a couple of options for refrigerating your cinnamon rolls before baking them.
After the first rise, the cinnamon rolls are shaped and placed in a baking dish. At this point you can cover the rolls and refrigerate them for up to 48 hours, let them rise again and then refrigerate them, or let them rise and bake them right away.
Depending on when you want to enjoy them, you may choose a different option every time you make them!
How to make Easy Cinnamon Rolls:
- I always use all purpose flour for these cinnamon rolls. Bread flour would likely be fine too, but I haven’t tried it myself.
- The amount of flour added to the dough is not a hard and fast amount. Judge how much to use by how the dough looks and feels. It should be soft and a bit tacky to the touch, but not dry or overly sticky. When kneading, it should clear the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- I like my cinnamon rolls with raisins in the filling. My entire family is not on board with that, so we sometimes just add raisins to half the batch. They are better with raisins though! 🙂
Here are some more great sweet roll recipes for you:
- Raspberry Lemon Sweet Rolls
- Apple Cinnamon Sweet Rolls
- Chocolate Orange Sweet Rolls
- Cinnamon Twists
- Strawberry Lemon Sweet Rolls