This homemade ranch seasoning uses just 8 ingredients and mixes up in minutes. Store it in the fridge or freezer for fast, tasty ranch dressing or dip!
Who else loves ranch seasoning? I think that most people do.
The people in this house are certainly fans. We go through a fair bit of it. As far as salad dressings go it’s definitely one of our favourites.
So having a go to recipe for making my own homemade ranch seasoning is fantastic. This ranch seasoning recipe uses just 8 ingredients and mixes up in minutes. Plus you can store it in the fridge or freezer for months, so you can always have it on hand.
It’s so tasty and so easy to make, and I love having it for those recipes that call for ranch seasoning. Buying a packet of seasoning mix for a teaspoon of seasoning always seems a little annoying to me, so this makes me much happier.
And homemade is always better anyways!
How much dry ranch dressing mix is in a packet?
3 tablespoons of this mix is the same as a 1 ounce (28g) packet of ranch seasoning mix.
What is ranch dressing made of?
Ranch seasoning is made up of buttermilk powder, parsley, dill, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, dried onion, and pepper. You probably already have most of those ingredients so it’s pretty simple to make.
To make ranch dressing, mix 1 tablespoon of this ranch seasoning mix with 1/3 of milk and 1/3 cup of mayonnaise. It tastes best if you refrigerate it for an hour before serving for the flavours to meld, but you can use it right away too. You can thin it with more milk to whatever your desired consistency is.
To make ranch dip, use 1 tablespoon of this ranch seasoning mix with 1/3 cup of sour cream and 1/3 cup of mayonnaise. It’s best if you refrigerate it for at least an hour before serving it for the flavours to meld.
Where do I find buttermilk powder?
I’ve been told that a lot of grocery stores do carry it, look for it in the baking section next to the skim milk powder. Unfortunately I can’t find it at any of the stores in my area, but you might have better luck.
If you’re in Canada, you can find it at Bulk Barn, which is where I get mine.
How to make Homemade Ranch Seasoning:
- This homemade ranch seasoning is so easy to make. Whisk all the ingredients together and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 months. You can also freeze it for up to 6 months.
- If you would like your ranch seasoning to be finely blended, you can process it in a blender or food processor for 15-20 seconds to combine the ingredients, rather then just whisking it together.
- 3 tablespoons of this mix is the same as a 1 ounce (28g) packet of ranch seasoning mix.
You can use this homemade ranch seasoning in these great recipes:
- Chicken Taco Salad
- Mexican Pasta Salad with Cajun Shrimp
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza Rolls
- Baked Pretzel Ranch Chicken Tenders
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza