Skinny cajun shrimp alfredo pasta for #30MinuteThursday can be on the table in 20 minutes and everyone will love it! Alfredo pasta, but healthier!
I needed to give you a great recipe to use that homemade cajun seasoning in. Obviously. You knew this was coming next.
Skinny cajun shrimp alfredo pasta. This one will be made often around here I think. So tasty, so easy, and so fast. Plus, it was super easy to make some plain shrimp and pasta (so boring right?) for the kids that don’t really like sauce or spice. Usually I just make them eat whatever we’re having because I’m really not one for making multiple meals every night.
But, every once in a while, when it’s easy to modify stuff so I know they’ll like it, I do. Leaving some of the pasta and shrimp plain is no extra effort and everyone is happy.
For the rest of us though, who enjoy some flavour in our food, cajun shrimp alfredo pasta is a fantastic meal. It’s easy to make and is ready in 20 minutes. I even checked the nutritional information on the sauce compared to a regular alfredo sauce (I was curious how skinny it was) and it’s half the calories of regular alfredo sauce, and we enjoyed it just as much, so there’s that. If you’ve got an alfredo pasta craving, this will do the trick but will be much healthier. And you should definitely top it with some cajun shrimp – obviously.
Also – it’s the first Thursday of the month! That means it’s 30 Minute Thursday and there’s a whole list of great 30 minute meals at the bottom of this post, below the recipe.
If you’re new around here, 30 Minute Thursday is where myself and a group of my blogging friends get together to bring our readers some 30 minute meals to get you through those busy nights when you don’t have much time to cook. If you’d like to check out past 30 Minute Thursday posts, you can click here to get to those for more 30 minute meal inspiration!
Tips for perfect skinny cajun shrimp alfredo pasta:
- if you don’t feel like mixing up your own cajun seasoning, you can buy it pre-mixed (I like this cajun seasoning)
- I like to use a non-stick skillet for cooking the cajun shrimp so that I don’t have to use a lot of oil – if you don’t have a non-stick skillet you may need a little more olive oil to prevent them from sticking
- more tasty 30 minute pasta recipes: Mexican One Pan Pasta, Lemon Shrimp One Pot Pasta, and One Pot Sausage and Asparagus Pesto Pasta
- 8 ounces (225g) pasta (I used linguine, use whatever you like)
- 1 pound shrimp (shelled)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup milk (I used 2%)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions in a large pot of boiling water. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Toss the shrimp with the olive oil and the cajun seasoning.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook for about 4 minutes, flipping once, until they are completely pink.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Whisk in the flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until it is lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, stirring until it is incorporated and smooth.
- Add the thyme, oregano, salt, pepper and parmesan and whisk continuously for 3-4 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer until the pasta is ready.
- Toss together the pasta and alfredo sauce and serve with the cajun shrimp on top.
- Garnish with parsley and additional parmesan if desired.
Source: Adapted from Weight Watcher's New Complete Cookbook.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I may receive a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1/4 recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 443Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 267mgSodium: 1620mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 37g
Baked Ham and Cheese Roll-Ups by Pumpkin ‘N Spice
30 Minute Tuscan White Bean and Kale Soup by Kristine’s Kitchen
One Pot Pizza Gnocchi Pasta by Savory Nothings
30-Minute Cheesy Mexican Rice Skillet by Flavor the Moments
Vegetable Noodle Stir Fry with Orange by Floating Kitchen
One Pot BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Rice by The Recipe Rebel
Kale Pesto Pasta with Tofu by She Likes Food
Garlic Butter Monte Cristo Pull-Apart Sliders by Whole and Heavenly Oven
Shrimp and Vodka Penne Pasta by My Kitchen Craze
This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you make a purchase through these links, I receive a small commission.