An easier and faster version of a favourite pasta dish, this ravioli lasagna is absolutely amazing. Quick to make and tastes like the real thing!
Lasagna is one of my all time favourite pasta dishes.
I don’t think I’m alone on that – everyone I know loves lasagna. What’s not to love about meaty, cheesy layers of pasta goodness?
My mom’s lasagna recipe is amazing, and hands down my favourite way to enjoy this tasty pasta. But….sometimes you just don’t have time to make lasagna from scratch. It’s not hard, but the multiple layers do seem to take awhile. I always think it’ll be a half hour of cooking and lasagna will be in the oven, but it always takes way longer then that.
So I needed to come up with a quicker version. Because obviously we need lasagna in our lives more often.
This ravioli lasagna is fast, easy, and tastes like the real thing. It can even be managed on a weeknight if you want. It is best if you let the meat sauce simmer for about a half hour, but I’ve thrown it together after just 15 minutes of simmering and tossed it in the oven and it was still fantastic.
You don’t have to boil any pasta, just use the uncooked ravioli as the pasta and cheese layers all in one (I used ricotta and spinach filled ravioli), and layer them with some homemade meat sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake for a half hour and you have one fantastic meal.
Plus, this ravioli lasagna is almost better as leftovers then it is the first time. With my family of five, a 9×13 pan of lasagna is quite a lot (my 5 year old doesn’t eat much yet), and we can actually get two meals out of this. In my opinion, that makes it even better – all I have to do is reheat and make a salad for a second meal the week I make this!
I might have a hard time convincing myself to make regular lasagna again. This ravioli lasagna is just way too easy!
- 1 pound (450g) ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4-6 button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (27oz, 796mL) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (5.5oz, 156mL) tomato paste
- 600g (21oz) package ravioli (I used spinach and ricotta ravioli)
- 1 pound (454g) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, brown the ground beef.
- Drain the grease, then add the onion, mushrooms, garlic, basil, salt and pepper to the pan.
- Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until the vegetables have started to soften.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a 9x13 inch baking dish, assemble the lasagna.
- Place one third of the meat sauce in the bottom of the dish and spread it around to give a thin layer of sauce on the bottom.
- Spread one third of the shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the sauce.
- Cover this with half of the uncooked ravioli.
- Repeat the layers with another third of the meat sauce, another third of the cheese, and the other half of the ravioli.
- Finish with the last third of the meat sauce and the last third of the cheese.
- Bake the lasagna for 30 minutes, or until the cheese has started to brown and the filling is hot and bubbling.
- Let it stand for 10 minutes to set up before cutting it into squares and serving.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I may receive a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 533 Total Fat: 29g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 118mg Sodium: 720mg Carbohydrates: 29g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 8g Protein: 40g