Spicy Mongolian beef and pineapple made in the slow cooker – a super easy meal to make at home that is even better then takeout!
I have an incredible recipe for you today. This spicy Mongolian beef and pineapple is absolutely amazing and you should probably make it tonight.
This dish is one of the amazing recipes in my friend Kelly’s (Life Made Sweeter) new cookbook, The Asian Slow Cooker. I was lucky enough to receive a review copy and I can’t even tell you how much I love this cookbook! I want to make everything in it.
So far we’ve made this spicy Mongolian beef and pineapple (twice!), the hoisin chili chicken tacos, the Thai pineapple cashew chicken fried rice, and the sweet chili chicken drumsticks. We loved all of them.
I think that’s a pretty good indication that it’s a fantastic cookbook that will be used often around here. When the first four recipes you try get raving reviews from the whole family? That means everything else needs to be tried immediately if not sooner!
I know I’ll be reaching for this cookbook on a regular basis. If you love Asian food and your slow cooker, you will love this cookbook! You can check out some of the recipes, and see a list of reviews from other bloggers here.
The Asian Slow Cooker was released on November 8th, and is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Indigo, Books-a-Million, Indie Bound and wherever books are sold. You’ll definitely want to get a copy, it’s amazing!
The cookbook includes:
- 80 delectable ASIAN dishes and desserts that can be made either in the SLOW COOKER or just ONE POT
- a mix of classic favorites, fusion and exotic meals with healthier than their restaurant counterparts waiting for you right when you get home
- recipes to suit various tastes: vegetarian, sour, spicy and sweet
- slow cooking tips and ingredients for stocking your pantry to make authentic Asian cuisine and,
- a full-color photo for every single recipe!
There will be multiple winners – one prize per winner.
Here’s what’s included:
1 x Hamilton Beach 6 Quart Slow Cooker (retail $349 US) (1 winner)
1 x Hamilton Beach 5 Quart Slow Cooker (retail $99 US) (1 winner)
1 x $100 PayPal (1 winner)
3 x signed The Asian Slow Cooker cookbook (3 separate winners)
Good luck everyone!
- 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons (78g) cornstarch, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons (10mL) oil
- 1 1/2 pounds (683g) flank steak, cut across the grain into thin strips
- 1/2 cup (118mL) low sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup (158mL) low sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup (65g) brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 tablespoons (32g) hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon (16g) Thai sweet red chili sauce
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons (30mL) cool water
- 1/2 cup (110g) shredded carrots
- 1 cup (180g) pineapple chunks (fresh or canned)
- 1/4 cup (59mL) pineapple juice
- cooked rice, for serving
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly, for garnish (optional)
- sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- In a large zip-top bag, toss together 1/2 cup (65g) cornstarch, baking soda, salt and black pepper.
- Add the beef to the bag and give it a little shake until well coated.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Sear the beef in batches for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side and add to the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, beef broth, brown sugar, hoisin sauce, chili sauce, chili flakes, garlic and ginger and pour over the beef.
- Cover with the lid and cook on low for about 3 to 4 hours
- About 30 minutes prior to serving, whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch with water in a small bowl and stir into the slow cooker along with the carrots, pineapples and pineapple juice.
- Cover with the lid, then turn the heat to high and allow the sauce to cook and thicken up for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.
Source: from The Asian Slow Cooker.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I may receive a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 612Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 135mgSodium: 1920mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 3gSugar: 31gProtein: 54g
Nutrition Information is estimated based on ingredients used and may not be exact.
This post contains affiliate links.